Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Midtown Rendezvous

I have a lot of thoughts to share, since I haven't posted in a while. I am finding that expressing my thoughts is like having to go poop. When I don't write about something, I get constipated and I want to get rid of it.

I went out swing dancing on Friday at the new Midtown Stomp for the second time. On the first night my friend Teri and I got there in time to catch the last half hour. We didn't get our fill so we went out salsa dancing after till 2:30am.

My dancing buddy, TerBear could not come because she had Strep Throat, so I went alone. I got there a little after 8pm. I think that might be the earliest I have ever showed up for dancing. Usually I do good to get out of the door by 10. There was an impressive number of people that showed up. Swing Session can always draw a crowd, and they obviously promoted it well. I am thinking that a good portion of the people came from dance studios in the area, because there were some fabulous dancers there.

I ran into an old friend from eRepublic who has been inviting me out dancing for the last year. He just started a month ago and he's doing pretty good at the basics and a few turns.

Hepcat and his wife were even there. I actually thought that he was my friend from work at first and was all friendly with him and he goes and asks me my name. Did he not recognize me at first? He used to ask me to dance at least twice a night. I guess, we were even since I didn't recognize him either at first. They moved down the coast a few hours, so I haven't seen them since they moved. I had to break the news to them about Gabriel and I breaking up.

I saw some friends from church. There's always the old timers that I know from Tower and 815 L and Ace's. I made sure I got to dance with Honey. I love dancing with him. He is so smooth, no even better than smooth. He has soul. He intoxicates me. He becomes the music. When I am dancing with him, I imagine that I am as sexy as he is, but my white bones weren't trained to move in such ways. He is not afraid to get close or look you in the eyes. Mmmm.........Did I mention I enjoy dancing with him?

I counted 21 different people that I danced with that night. I asked probably half of them. Kudos to the beginners who are not afraid to ask me or anyone else to dance. For me, it's all about having fun. No pressure. If they want me to tap, I'll tap. They want me to twist, I'll twist. I'm not going to critique them. That's what the lessons are for. I just smile like I am having fun and laugh at the mistakes.

Take JJ for example. He started learning about three years ago. He always told me how he felt inadequate to dance with me, but he appreciated how I would have fun dancing with him, regardless. And Friday, when I danced with him again to "Gimme A Kiss", we had such a great time. I think he was certainly in the top 5 of the best dancers that I danced with that night.

Towards the end of the night, I found myself glued to the corner of the entry. This guy in a red T shirt walks by and said to me, "Hi. Are you having fun?, because you've been standing there for, like ever."

I told him, yes. He said he would like to dance with me when he got back from getting a drink, if it was ok with me. I said, "That would be great."

We finished off what was left of the song and agreed on another. After a long introduction to the band members, and to each other. Burt and I danced to another song. He was a great dancer. He has rhythm and he is confident in his lead. He is even a little flirtatious in the moves. I had a good time dancing with him and he said it was a lot of fun.

I sat out the last couple of songs, besides the encore. Burt came over to me and started making conversation. He kept saying how he was not ready to go home yet because he had just gotten there. He must have spent more time driving than dancing because he lives near Fairfield. I told him about how I came late the previous time and went salsa dancing after. He said, "Salsa dancing is fun."

So, I invited him to come out salsa dancing with me. After some debate, he asked me if I would like to get something to drink instead. He said, "I don't drink, but some people do."

We were walking to my car and I still hadn't come up with a place near by that would still be open. He mentioned again about drinking coffee or hot chocolate. I remembered that there was a Carrow's down the street.

I couldn't resist asking him if he was LDS after having stated that he lives by two of the five main points of the Word of Wisdom. "What you think I might be Mormon because I said I don't drink?", he replied.

"Well, yes", I responded.

"So are you Mormon?" He jabbed.

"Yes, I am." I said, smugly.

"Hm, so am I".

I had to clear out a bunch of stuff out of the passenger seat before he could get in the car. He saw Guy's car seat in the back and asked if it was mine. That took care of how I would bring that one up. I explained that I have a son and that I am divorced, etc. He didn't seem to have any problem with any of it. Why should he? He only just wanted to get to know me. No pressure, right?

We ended up at Rick's Desert Diner. Well, technically we ended up on 17th and N or O. While at Rick's, we made chit-chat over hot chocolate and a raspberry Italian Soda (that had the taste of Nutra Sweet, Pleck!) I found out that he is 29. He is going to school studying English and Literature, I believe. He wants to write screen plays/be a Rock star. He says he is working on one now, but he is not at liberty to share it. He plays the guitar and he is on the verge of forming another rock band. He served a mission in NY. He works in a mall selling jerseys. He is the YA Branch Executive Secretary and he works in the Temple.

We ditched Rick's and I drove him back to his car. In stead of bidding adieu, we got to know each other even more. Like I found out that he is an amazing kisser.

He told me I am a Cool Chick. As much as I hate the phrase, I didn't mind hearing it from him. He gave me his phone # and email. I sent him an email on Sunday Morning. By Monday evening I hadn't heard from him, so I gave him a call. He was at work, but he called me when he got off. I knew who it was when he called because I saved his name and number in my phone. He asked if he should be scared. I laughed. He went on to tell me that he is scared of women. I said, "You didn't seem scared Friday night."

I asked him what his worst fear is regarding women. He readily replied, "Commitment".

"Oh, the 'C' word", I said, as if it were an STD, or something.

I asked if he got my email. He said he must have accidentally erased it. (Okeey) He seemed sincere, but I don't trust my own judgment anymore. He asked me to resend it.

I did, and I still haven't heard anything from him.

I hate to end this entry on a negative note, so I'll refer myself back to paragraph 8 about Honey. Mmmm.... Goooooood Niiight.

No comments: